Our Commitment to Health & Wellness
We are committed to offering delicious, quality foods that you can enjoy and trust every day. In recent years, we have made significant progress in:
- Eliminating artificial trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils.
- Ensuring our school foods meet or exceed USDA guidelines and provide the whole grains, protein, calcium and fiber students need to perform well at school.
- Making foods for those with specific dietary needs.
- Developing products with shorter, cleaner ingredient statements.
Goodbye, Artificial Ingredients & Trans Fats
We delivered on the many commitments we made in 2015 to develop products with shorter, cleaner ingredient statements. Here’s the progress we have made:
- Eliminated partially hydrogenated oils—a source of trans fats.
- Completed the removal of artificial dyes entirely by the end of 2015.
- Completed the elimination of high-fructose corn syrup and crystalline fructose by the end of 2016.
- Completed the removal of artificial flavors by the end of 2017.
Healthier Food at Schools
Schwan’s Food Service works with school food leaders, nutrition experts and national decision makers to continuously improve on our great-tasting, wholesome foods for students.
- Our entire child nutrition portfolio of more than 60 foods meets or exceeds national school meal standards for both breakfast and lunch.
- For the 2015-16 school year, we announced additional sodium reductions in our already compliant mainline and competitive school foods.
- Our new line of á la carte items meets the new K-12 Smart Snacks Competitive Foods requirements for limits on calories, sodium, fats and sugars and inclusion of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, proteins and other nutrients.