Our Commitment to Health & Wellness
We are committed to offering delicious, quality foods that you can enjoy and trust every day. That includes healthful options for schools and more than 80 Schwan’s ® LiveSmart ® products delivered to homes. In recent years, we have made significant progress in:
- Eliminating artificial trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils.
- Ensuring our school foods meet or exceed USDA guidelines and provide the whole grains, protein, calcium and fiber students need to perform well at school.
- Making foods for those with specific dietary needs.
- Developing products with shorter, cleaner ingredient statements.
Goodbye, Artificial Ingredients & Trans Fats
We delivered on the many commitments we made in 2015 to develop products with shorter, cleaner ingredient statements. Here’s the progress we have made:
- Eliminated partially hydrogenated oils—a source of trans fats.
- Completed the removal of artificial dyes entirely by the end of 2015.
- Completed the elimination of high-fructose corn syrup and crystalline fructose by the end of 2016.
- Committed to the removal of artificial flavors by the end of 2017.
Meeting Dietary Needs at Home
Schwan’s Home Service offers more than 300 home-style foods and is committed to continuously improving nutritional value.
- Our Schwan’s® line marked with the LiveSmart ® label has moderate levels of fat, sodium and calories, and zero grams of trans fats. It includes trim-cut meats, poultry, seafood and a variety of “Grade A” fruits and vegetables.
- The “Special Diets” section of the site and mobile app helps you find foods that are gluten free, vegetarian, no-sugar added, heart healthy, low sodium or low calorie.
- We now offer organic fruit and vegetable options.
- Our growing gluten-free selection includes pizza, bread, chicken bites and muffins. (Gluten-free pizzas are also available in club stores under our Sabatasso’s ® brand and in grocery stores under our Freschetta ® brand.)
Healthier Food at Schools
Schwan’s Food Service works with school food leaders, nutrition experts and national decision makers to continuously improve on our great-tasting, wholesome foods for students.
- Our entire child nutrition portfolio of more than 60 foods meets or exceeds national school meal standards for both breakfast and lunch.
- For the 2015-16 school year, we announced additional sodium reductions in our already compliant mainline and competitive school foods.
- Our new line of á la carte items meets the new K-12 Smart Snacks Competitive Foods requirements for limits on calories, sodium, fats and sugars and inclusion of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, proteins and other nutrients.